Sunday, June 10, 2018

Another Week in Primary

I decided today that I think Junior Primary is just always going to be crazy...haha. And I mean, we do have 10 Sunbeams...so ya, at least for the next year as those kids get older, it will probably just be crazy. They are sweet though, sitting still and being quiet is just rough! Plus we always have way too many chairs set up because of the previous ward's primary (our meeting times overlap, so we can't rearrange the room before church, because they're still in there). And there always seems to be someone needing something...it's just hectic. But we make it through. And then we get some respite with Senior Primary, haha.

Senior Primary today was especially sweet for me. Our teachers were attending Teacher's Council Meeting, so I sat with the kids during singing time and sharing time. We had two new/visiting kids that I sat right next to. Their mother was baptized a long time ago, and their whole family is now meeting with the missionaries. Today was their first Sunday attending our ward. During singing time, I grabbed the extra mini Children's Songbook we have from the closet, and opened it up to whatever song we were singing, and sang with the brother and sister to try and help them feel included in singing time. I was amazed at how earnestly they tried to read the words and sing along, despite their not knowing the songs. As I focused more intently on the words, and our new music leader bore testimony of the principles taught in them, I felt the spirit of peace confirming the truths taught, and confirming my testimony. The primary songs really are a wonderful tool.

Then getting to watch my counselors conduct and teach sharing time was great, too. I am so grateful for them! Watching them today, I felt like I had so much to learn from them. Marissa was conducting, and as she welcomed the kids to primary, she actually welcomed them. She asked them if they're excited for summer, what their plans are, and helped the kids who forget their assignments know that it was ok. Amanda taught sharing time and shared a wonderful object lesson that the kids really enjoyed. She talked about listening to the voice of the spirit, and as she read scriptures about the Holy Ghost, had extra volunteers come up each time to ring a bell or bang a pot or pan as she read. By the end, nobody could even sort of hear what she was reading. The kids obviously loved it, but they also readily understood the meaning behind it. The more noise and distraction we have in our lives, the less we are able to hear and understand the voice of the spirit.

I love that even as I serve in primary each week, and miss the opportunity to attend Sunday school and Relief Society, I am able to be taught and feel the Spirit, to be filled, as I attend my meetings.

No comments: