Sunday, June 3, 2018

1 Nephi 1:20

"...But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty..."

I have always loved this verse. But as I read it today I felt a great testimony of its truth.

In this first month and a half serving as the Primary president, I have been amazed to see the truth of the phrase "Whom the Lord calls, He qualifies." Not that I particularly felt inadequate or anything when I was called, but there have been a few Sundays that I had a long list of things that I needed to do at church, and as I prayed for help, somehow I was able to manage it all.

Hence why this verse hit me today. My first counselor was gone today, so I was conducting in her place, as well as checking on the classes and helping like I otherwise would have been. This was also the first Sunday we were having a member of the Bishopric come in during opening exercises to share a message. Then there were two kids who did NOT want to be at church today. And I had a page long list of people to talk to/things to do. Oh, and I have a nice outbreak from poison ivy right now. Basically, it was a little crazy, haha.

And yet, about half way through Primary, I checked over my list again and realized that I had checked all but one thing off my list. I had prayed this morning for the help to meet my responsibilities according to His will (and that my poison ivy wouldn't be a problem during church, haha). And I got it. I accomplished as much as I possibly could, an issue I had been concerned about resolved itself, and my poison ivy didn't itch once - even when the little girl I had on my lap kept brushing against it, haha.

Serving in this calling has just given me a new testimony that the Lord truly is there, extending His arm of mercy to fill in where we fall short. That when we are on His errand, He will increase our capacity to meet the needs of those we serve. Or He will simply resolve the situation through some other means to meet their needs. Because they are His children we're serving. And I am so grateful that's true, and that I don't have to do this on my own. Because He does a much better job than I would.

1 comment:

Jenessa Adams said...

Wow. Thank you!! I can just imagine you being the amazing primary president that you are, especially because you know who to ask for for help!! lOVE YOU!