Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Why I Stay

I saw a page on Facebook the other day called "Why I Stay," with people's stories of why they are choosing to stay in their faith when so many these days are choosing to leave. I've really been pondering that - why do I stay?

The first answer I keep coming to is because it makes my life better. The gospel motivates me to be a better person, to work on my own faults and shortcomings. My attendance at church has introduced me to people who have become my dearest friends. Those friendships then further enrich my life and give it meaning. Striving to keep the commandments has kept my life free of so many regrets. The temple has brought me peace beyond understanding and given me the strength to bear my burdens with ease. The covenants I've made there and the ordinances I've received have endowed and infused my life with a strength, power, and purpose that can't be found anywhere else. The gospel brings me joy, and living the gospel makes my life better.

I stay because the gospel adds depth to my life. I see others who have left the church and say they are happy. But I can't help but feel that they've still lost something, that their lives seem more superficial and almost even hollow now. The gospel broadens my perspective. It enlightens my mind and enlarges my soul. It challenges me. It gives direction to my life.

The fruits of the gospel in my life are good. And so I stay because I know it's true.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

This is a great subject. I've put a lot of thought into it as well over the years as I've had dear friends, good people who I love dearly, leave the church.

To me it all comes back to the plan of happiness and our journey to become like God. The gospel of Jesus Christ gives us purpose and direction. It helps people become the best version of themselves. I stay because the gospel makes sense. I stay because the gospel gives me direction. I stay because I am confident in the joy that the plan of salvation brings every person on the earth. I know it.

That said, each person is walking their own path and each has a history and experiences unique to them. I know people who have left the church who are great, beautiful people, trying their hardest to do what they feel is right. I love them and I respect them.

But for me, I stay because I know it is true.

Melissa said...

John 6:66 ¶ From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

John 6:66–69

I feel exactly like you do Nancyann. The gospel of Jesus Christ makes my life better and it makes me a better person. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. He is the only way. He is my light. He is my strength. He is my ultimate example of how I want to live my life. The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is my avenue to connect with my Savior. With the gift of the holy ghost to guide and protect me, to bare witness to my soul of my Father in Heaven and my Savior. With baptism and temple covenants to assure my commitment to try to be more like the Savior and anchor me to him. With the Priesthood to bless my with His love and remind me the my Savior is always close and aware of my thoughts and feelinhg and circumstances.
Where else could I go to find such peace.