Monday, March 9, 2020

Hear Him

How do I "Hear Him"?

I hear Him when I read from the "best books." When the words of others come from the pages and into my heart. When the author's words become His, speaking to me.

That is how I hear Him.

I hear Him in sacred music. It's beauty brings peace to my heart and I hear Him saying "Be still."

That is how I hear Him.

I hear Him when I am with family. When I am surrounded by the laughter, smiles, and companionship of loved ones. I hear Him saying that the joy of family is everything.

That is how I hear Him.

I hear Him because of what my parents have taught me. The family lessons, the individual conversations, the heartfelt prayers. I hear Him because they showed me daily how to listen.

That is why I hear Him.

I hear Him in the temple. Its peace enfolds me. He enfolds me. That sacred space reaches in and touches all of me. I hear Him saying that this is truth, and truth eternal.

That is how I hear Him.

I hear Him when I obey. For what good is the hearing if we fail to act? And as I act, He speaks again and tells me to keep going.

That is how I hear Him.

I hear Him when I am surrounded by his creations. When the din and confusion of mankind and our manufactured world take a back seat to the grandeur and beauty of His. When I step past the buildings, the cars, and the artificial lights and step into the forests, the fields, and the rolling hills. I hear Him saying, "By My hand were these made."

That is how I hear Him.

I hear Him in my anguish. When the pain is more than I can bear. When I am broken and in despair. He soothes my aching soul, binds my broken heart, calms my troubled mind. I hear him saying, "I understand."

That is how I hear Him.

No comments: