Sunday, January 5, 2020

A Decade in Review

Now that we're almost a week into the new year, I figured it was about time for my New Years post. :P I saw multiple "year in review" posts on facebook - which I loved reading, but decided mine would not be particularly exciting, haha. Then I saw Keith's "decade in review" post and decided that would  be MUCH more fitting/interesting for me! Also, the more I thought about it, I realized this was a HUGE decade for me. So here it is, my very formative, first full decade as an adult.

2010 - So many firsts!
Moved for the first time ever - over 1,000 miles away out to BYU, a big jump from living in the same home in the same small town all my life.
Started college.
Began (and quickly quit) my first job - early morning custodian at the HFAC on campus with Keith.
Went on my first single date (my thoughts from that experience here, haha).
Changed my major.
Went back home and walked for High School graduation - found out I graduated as Salutatorian of my class.
Returned to BYU with Marshall and Keith.
First heartbreak (and second), with the best consolation from my far away family - flowers from Dad, and Domino's pizza and lava cakes from my sisters delivered to my door.
Had a blast that fall semester with my brothers and the coolest roommates!

2011 - Had one more awesome semester out at BYU with seriously the best group of friends.
Moved home "for the summer".
Jessica moved in with us.
(Grudgingly) followed the impression to stay home for good.
Went out to Keith and Julie's wedding in DC, attended General Conference with the family, and went to Marshall and Jenessa's wedding in Mesa.
Started working for Helzberg.

2012 - Moved into an apartment in Springfield with Jenessa, Glenda, and Jessica.
Took at trip out to Provo to visit my friends.
Moved back into Mom and Dad's.
Became Office Manager at Helzberg.
Starting seriously thinking about a mission, then went on my first date with Gabe the same day, haha.
Started dating Gabe.
Went out to my roommate's wedding in Utah (and discovered that I in fact did NOT have unlimited texting with which to text Gabe).
Got engaged.
Quit my job.
Got married.
Experienced my first in-law holiday (5 people at Thanksgiving was almost like culture shock for me).

2013 - Started teaching piano lessons (to 1 student).
Moved to Willard, then back into Springfield.
Had our 1st anniversary - and got scared about the infertility label that put us under.

2014 - Went to Hawaii, which literally felt like a life-changing experience for us. It was more than magical; everything perfectly fell into place for us.
Went out to Utah for Conference with Philip - stayed with Keith and Julie and saw Joseph on our way home.
Moved to St. Louis and Gabe started chiropractic school.
Had my first overnight trip away from Gabe (just staying at Mom and Dad's when Joseph got home from his mission).
Had my first car wreck (and felt the painful shock of how expensive the ticket and having to appear at court was, plus the increased cost of car insurance after).
Began working as a temple worker.
Got called as Young Women Adviser.
Started our shift into a greater focus on health and nutrition.
Bought and moved into our trailer.

2015 - Made some great friends in our ward.
James and Kelli came to visit us for a few days over spring break - and yes they stayed in our trailer with their 6 kids, haha.
Took an Amtrak by myself to Lawrence so I could drive out to Joseph's wedding with Sarah, Marshall, and Jenessa.
Went on Trek as a leader - which really meant just playing around and having fun with some YSA leaders because none of us were assigned to a family.
Started babysitting two little girls once a week.

2016 - Became a trainer at the temple.
Had Marshall and Jenessa visit us over spring break - enjoyed the art museum, a great hike, and cooking and visiting together.
Started occasionally working (about once a week) as basically a personal assistant for Judith - an artist/small business owner I met through someone at church.
Gabe started clinicals at school.
Went to Girl's Camp as the Assistant Ward Camp Director and experienced the discomfort of swollen ankles and heat rash for the first time (my feet were HUGE and red).
Went to Youth Conference.
Went to a free St. Louis Symphony concert in the park for my 25th birthday.
Did a lot of house sitting.
Continued to enjoy the many hikes and parks and free shows and museums St. Louis has to offer.

2017 - Finished our time in St. Louis and said goodbye to the Young Women, our amazing ward, the temple workers, and so many wonderful friends.
Moved back home to Springfield - with a 9 hour drive because our car overheated every 20 min on the drive home...
Gabe had his summer internship with Sam Sanders and then GRADUATED!
We (very unexpectedly) decided to move to Arkansas for work...and then subsequently waited 4 months for everything to work out.
Celebrated our 5th anniversary at a great little cabin in Eureka Springs.

2018 - Moved down to Arkansas!
I was called as Primary President.
Went on a float trip with some new friends.
Explored lots of hikes and parks in beautiful Arkansas. We walked almost every summer night at Lake Fayetteville, just down the road from us.
I started reading regularly again.

2019 - Really started getting to know people and make good friends.
Joined a monthly "Mother's of Influence" group hosted by a friend from the ward.
Enjoyed many more hikes.
I went on a whirlwind trip with Mom, Dad, and Lilly out to Joseph's graduation from OCS in Virginia.
Enjoyed a FANTASTIC 7 course dinner with Gabe's parents at a tiny French restaurant in Fordland, MO.
Gabe and I became temple workers at the Oklahoma City Temple.
Had an awesome birthday bonfire party at Mom and Dad's.
Gabe got called into the Bishopric.
Started traveling to Little Rock every other week for Gabe's work.
And I read. A LOT. (I finished just a few books shy of my goal for 1 book/week).

I learned and grew and changed SO MUCH over this past decade. It really was a formative and transformative time for me. I have learned so much about myself, been stretched and grown a great deal spiritually through my experiences and opportunities, and had my perspectives and outlooks shifted and expanded.

I've gained a firm testimony of and love for the temple, learned (and continuing to learn) to really trust in the Lord's timing, and seen His hand guiding and directing my life in both small and large ways. I've learned that I really am an introvert, haha, and reignited my love for reading that I had as a kid. Healthy, natural living has become a big part of my life - I fully embrace many things that I once scoffed at, haha. I've gained a love for the outdoors and hiking and walking (when it's not cold at least) and learned to greatly enjoy cooking healthy, wholesome food. Gabe and I have grown closer and closer, learned to communicate and compromise, and to fully rely on one another.

So many people and friends have come in and out of my life, some leaving permanent and lasting impressions. The memories truly are great and I have been immensely blessed. I never could have imagined some of the twists and turns my life has taken the past 10 years and where I've ended up. It makes me excited to see where the Lord will take Gabe and I next. So here's to the 20s and all the growth, change, experiences, and opportunities they will bring!

No comments: