Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A Resolution in Creativity

I've been meaning to start writing more for quite a while now. I think part of why I've put it off so long is because I'm not quite sure what to write. But I've been feeling the pull too strongly to ignore. So here goes nothing!

I really do love writing. It enables me to express myself so much more clearly than I can when speaking. (#introvertproblems) I love being able to pause, rethink a phrase, and find exactly the right words to perfectly articulate my thoughts or fully convey my feelings. Tweaking and fine-tuning until I reach that sense of satisfaction that it's worded just right.

Plus it's about the only form of creating that I display any sort of competence in. 

Crafts? Ya, right.
Composing? No way.
Drawing? Ha!

And I know, I know, "practice makes perfect." But what fun is practicing when you're no good? :P When it comes to stereotypical creativity, I've got nothing. I'm much more of a read the instructions, follow the pattern, "do as I say," kind of person. I make use of other people's creativity, absorb it from the outside in, not produce it from within. Trying to do otherwise just feels awkward and unnatural.

Except when writing. 

Writing brings me that energized focus, that sense of passion and eagerness I imagine artists thrive on and strive for. Writing for me induces that "flow state" they describe.

I've heard it said that everyone should regularly engage in some form of creation. That it's part of our divine, inherent nature. I think that's why I'm drawn so much to writing. It's the one creative outlet I can actually plug into. 

And so begins my attempt to more consistently engage with that inner creativity. To dig deep and bring forth something genuine and new. And why not share it with the ones I love most? :)

No comments: